February 1, 2012

360 Feedback.

I left the working world after Noah came along. It's not something I ever thought I would do, but at the time it seemed like the right decision. And, while I don't miss my old job, I do miss working. I miss figuring things out. I miss projects, I miss deadlines, I miss collaborating with others, I miss learning new things, the challenges and the friendships. It aggravates and embarrasses me when someone questions what I do with my time because, at the heart of it, I really don't think I'm doing enough. I don't like referring to myself as a Stay at Home Mom and the term Homemaker makes me cringe. I will never be a Domestic Goddess. If it comes up, I just prefer to say that I'm not working.


One of the more surprising things I miss from working is the feedback. Even in mealy-mouthed England, you pretty much know where you stand in your job. So when I came across this list, I was excited yet hesitant in giving it to the boys. Although we kept Question Time light, I was very interested to hear what the boys thought of their boss...

What is something Mommy always says to you?
Elliot: I love you so much.
Noah: Go to sleep.

What makes Mommy happy?
Elliot: Cuddles and kisses.
Noah: Kisses.

What makes Mommy sad?
Elliot: Shouting.
Noah: Ummm... shouting (taking a cue from his older brother).

What was Mommy like as a child?
Elliot: Um. I can't do that answer.
Noah: Um. A boy.


How old is Mommy?
Elliot: Ten hundred.
Noah: Um. I don't know.

How tall is Mommy?
Elliot: A hundred-eleven feet long.
Noah: Um. I don't know.

What is Mommy's favorite thing to do?
Elliot: Cooking.
Noah: Tooking (hard-consonant sounds are tough).

How does Mommy make you laugh?
Elliot: Tickling us.
Noah: Laugh! Laugh! Laugh!


What does Mommy do when you're not around?
Elliot: Uh. I don't know. Actually, I think you cook.
Noah: Play.

If Mommy becomes famous, what will it be for?
Elliot: Getting coins.
Noah: I don't know.

What is Mommy really good at?
Elliot: Cooking.
Noah: Cooking.

Even Thanksgiving dinner isn't complete without ketchup...
What is Mommy not very good at?
Elliot: I don't know. [Unsatisfied, he looks around the room...] Um. reaching that smoke alarm.
Noah: I don't know. (Noah's beginning to lose interest.)

What does Mommy do for her job?
Elliot: Working
Noah: I don't know.

What is Mommy's favorite food?
Elliot: Chicken.
Noah: Salad.

What makes you proud of Mommy?
Elliot: Doing chores.
Noah: (Noah has now left the room in total disinterest.)

How are you and Mommy the same?
Elliot: We have black faces. (He gets black and white mixed up a lot.)
Noah: (He's left the room again.)


How are you and Mommy different?
Elliot: We don't both have watches on.

If Mommy were a cartoon character, who would she be?
Elliot: The Fairy Godmother.

What do you and Mommy do together?
Elliot: Play football.
Noah: Play fire engines (he's back, but not thrilled that I'm still questioning them).

How do you know Mommy loves you?
Elliot: Because you say it lots when we go to bed.


Not too shabby. But I need to get to work on my Fairy Godmother application.

3 comments:

  1. I love that you did this! I did too! I will post mae's responses although my blog post won't be nearly as well written(that is supposed to be a compliment to you, not a put down to me). Cute pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I would also add: What is Andrea best at (besides cooking!)? Being a Mom :)
    The photos of you and Noah and you and Elliot are wonderful! You can tell how much they both love you. You are indeed great at cooking though by the way...yum...Have you even gone fishing since that photo though? I have to wonder however, what yours, Sara's and John's responses would have been to these same questions.....why do I think it wouldn't have been cooking????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Love Love it.... this is just brilliant... make sure you keep these questions and ask them at 5-10 year intervals, I am sure cooking and love will still hold a strong representation... just wonder what will be added, or removed. I just love the innocence and honesty of both of them - particularly the getting the coins and doing the chores! Now to attack err I mean ask Alana the same questions... I am sure chores and cooking WILL NOT be in her answers! I almost scared to proceed. Great blog though and one for a brilliant mum, with the responses received... definatley a PBC1!!! ;-) Deirdre

    ReplyDelete