August 7, 2011

Too much.

I have a very minimalist approach to life. Less is more. If you haven't used it in 6 months, throw it out. You've got to be able to cut and run.
BR
I'm visiting my Aunt and Uncle's lake house and all of that has been turned on it's head. There's too much of everything. There are too many towels. There are too many bedrooms with too many sleeping options. There are too many tubes of sunscreen, shampoos and soaps. There are too many breakfast foods, frozen foods, fresh foods and straws. There are too many magazines and too many books. There are too many children's outdoor toys (saved from their own children's childhoods) and sports equipment. There are too many wet suits, water shoes, inner tubes, body boards, rafts, oars, water skis, umbrellas and beach chairs. They have a professional-grade telescope. There is a boat, a jet ski, and a golf cart. They have an extra apartment here just in case more people want to come.
BR
There's not even the suggestion of excess - only hospitality and generosity.
br
My Aunt and Uncle have always been like this. When we were little and they came down to visit there would always be copious amounts of food and games piled into their car and overnight bags. When we would go up to visit, there would be zoo trips, museum trips, library excursions and beach outings. Science and exploration were everywhere; questions were encouraged and explained; Auntie Hugs were plentiful and we allowed them for their genuine affection (and still enjoy for their heritage). Their basement was a kid haven, complemented by a jungle gym and swing; their garage was packed to the brim with all the latest ride-ons; they had a laundry chute in which you could chuck your dirty clothes, having them materialise only seconds later in the laundry room*.
BR
BR

  
br
Independently, they took my sister and I on several family vacations. Together, our families travelled much more. With them we went to Washington DC, Kiawah Island and Florida. Together, we went to Disney World (twice), Toronto, Niagara Falls, Yosemite Park, and the Western US. They attended my wedding in Puerto Rico and have visited me in London. I have just recently attended their son's wedding in California; Elliot and Lily were in their eldest daughter's wedding last year.
BR
Although our physical distances are getting greater (they are in Korea as I write...), this lake house feels so much like home** I can't imagine any of us straying too far, for too long.
BR
Thanks Aunt Barb. Thanks Uncle Craig.
BR
BR
* Not generous, per say, but SO cool.
BR
** I don't have the literary skills to tie this in elegantly, but more than anything I want to say how this lake house - a vacation house - smells exactly like my Aunt and Uncles Home. It smells like part of my childhood. I love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment